Sunday, August 3, 2014

Reasons You Should Make Pen Pals

Sorry folks, I haven’t blogged for quite a few days, but I was into some blogging stuff and made a few friends on the way. This prompted me to write on pen pals and here I am.

Don't Talk to Strangers! Pen Pals!

How I Came Across Pen Pals


Letters, mail, friends
Photo credits: ihave3kids via photopin cc
Blogging is fun in various ways, one of which is that you get to make new friends - friends that are not barred by the boundaries of countries, religions or
race. I was never a person with zillions of friends and I still am not. I do have friends though, just not too many. With having a lot of friends, things can get quite messy. Everyone’s asking for time, expectations get heightened and you (or they) fail to touch the mark. Then there are secrets, preferences, jealousy, relationships, but I’m a guy so I’m clean on that. However, pen friends or pen pals have turned out to be quite an exciting episode for me.


By the way, this is in no way related to a British lady who met her American pen pal after 10 years. I read it here, and for the record, when I say pen pails I don’t mean the conventional pen pals. I mean friends by email, text, chat, Facebook, Twitter or whatever. This is the 21st century after all.


Why Need Pen Pals?


It may seem like I am ranting on about how evil friends are, but it’s not like that. Friends are good, they’re cool, but the thing I despise is that people judge each other. If you’re wearing that, you’re old-fashioned. If you read poetry, you’re a freak. If you study too much, you’re a nerd, and the list goes on and on. I have actually seen people change so they are fit and acceptable in the eyes of their peers, and I am vehemently against this.  Pen pals are exciting in a way that they don’t judge. They don’t worry if you talk with a mouthful of food or if you’re picking your nose right now, they are miles away for that. You can talk to people of your interest. Such people tend to be community specific, for example if you’re a movie buff there are lots of people like you out there, I know some, there’s someone at WaffleReviews or if you’re a bookworm, there’s someone at Writocracy and the list goes on and on.


How Are Pen Pals Better?


Post letters, friends
Photo credits: Tuojia Elementary School via photopin cc
People like these are my pen pals and we can talk about mutual topics. Nobody would humiliate your opinions, they’ll just disagree and provide theirs. Nobody will judge you because all they have is a profile picture of you (if you provide one). Nobody will worry about what you did the whole day because they are continents away, possibly. What they will worry about is just one thing, and that is the topic of mutual interest.  You can have lots of people for lots of topics and get the EXPERT opinion.  Your knowledge increases, theirs increases (you always have something to offer) and it’s all fair and square. You get to know about different perspectives and how people all over the world think - You become enlightened. I am sure this isn’t even a phrase, but it is a stay-at-home tourism! You get to know and see (it depends) new places, new stuff and everything else. Life gets a lot more exciting, a lot more colorful.


The Downside


The Blog GuideThe only downside that I can imagine (yes, I’m lucky to have experienced none) is that you meet intolerant people. It’s a big world and people can be racially, religiously or sexually intolerant and that’s okay. You can just skip those out. And oh, it’s better not to share too much personal information (nice people don’t ask anyway) because you can’t be certain about who’s on the other side. In a nutshell, pen pals are an excellent idea. For me at least, I like to explore. What about you people? Do comment underneath.

Hope you liked what you read. Don't forget to leave a comment and do share, like, tweet, pin etc. All the tools are underneath and at your right. Thanks :)

18 comments :

  1. I think I might get a pen pal if I can! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Job, great read! I like the part about the movie buff's :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted a penpal, the old school style when I was a kid. That obviously scared my parents when I told them my idea but I'm lucky enough to have a virtual penpal now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up! I've added this to our Pinterest Parties board :)

    Megan
    theofficialblogguide.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback :)