Wednesday, July 30, 2014

My Eid Experience

This post is about how I spent my Eid. It has to with religion and for people other than Muslims, Eid is our own festival of merriment, just as Christmas is for Christians :) If this doesn't interest you, you can always wait for my next post :D

Thanks to +Shayan Ahmed  and +fakiha iram for the suggestions :)

It all started last night, Chaand Raat or the eve before Eid, whatever you settle on calling it. Out of the blue, my sister decided on getting henna (mehendi) applied on her hands. I was asked to be the driver and I
willingly complied because apparently saying no is not an option at Eid. It was midnight, but thankfully I had to drive for just a few miles. By looking at the number of women already waiting for their turns, it's safe to say that half the women weren't at home. No one had thought of making a queue so my sister was soon searching for an easy spot. She got lucky and we only had to wait for half an hour. Yes, that's lucky because I didn't see anyone get a seat that quick.

Eid, Henna, Mehendi, Hands, Girls
Henna
Photo credits: Izzah Zainab via photopin cc
I meanwhile took a liking to the jewellery stalls nearby and was thinking of buying bangles for my mom and sis. My wallet looked good and I could do with a little spending. I was browsing through all the stuff when my sis joined me, her hands looked pretty. She wanted a blue nail paint so I double checked my wallet, I could afford it too. My bubble burst soon when I inquired about the prices, they were sky high! "Sir, this is Eid, it's our time to earn profits. Everyone buys them at these prices", was the stall owner's explanation. Nobody would leave them, would they? Who wouldn't want bangles, bracelets, rings and all other accessories. I belonged to the same class.

I ended up buying only the blue nail paint and a cute bracelet for my mom. I came home, wrapped that bracelet around my mom's wrist and she somehow saw the price tag. She shared my opinion regarding the prices, but that's already been talked off. I slept after an hour or so. Couldn't miss out on my daily episode of Luther! Had to wake up early and offer the prayer on 8. After all the hugs and stuff, I came back home and slept. I didn't wake up before 7 in the evening and was soon wondering what to do. I had Stephen King's "Doctor Sleep" in my bookshelf (my friend Rafay had lent me that with many others), but I just didn't feel like reading. I checked into Facebook and talked to my wonderful cousins, they are always fun and am now writing this.

The day is almost over (well it's midnight now) and I've just realized that I didn't even shave and have quite a stubble. Talk about being lazy. Well, Eid Mubarak folks, hope you don't share the same Eid as me. The doughnut part (coincidentally, I have a post about doughnuts here) was an exclusion to all the bore stuff. I actually treated my family to doughnuts just to get the feel of a special day. Have fun, stay happy, stay blessed! And I hope the cellular networks stop messing it up xD Oh, and the henna turned out to be so faint that I teased my sis the whole day for it.

How was your Eid? Share your experience in the comments section below :)

Hope you liked what you read. Don't forget to leave a comment and do share, like, tweet, pin etc. All the tools are underneath and at your right. Thanks :)

6 comments :

  1. Should have been boring to be honest.. surprisingly it was not :D
    your blogs get better and better xD
    Eid Mubarak by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, Don' judge a book by it's cover ;)
      Khair Mubarak :)

      Delete
  2. Everything gets ridiculously pricey until Eid is done. >:|
    Good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, true that. I'll buy something for my mom and sis in a day or two (in advance for the next Eid) :D

      Delete

Thanks for your feedback :)