Tuesday, July 22, 2014

We Really Need To Do It Ourselves


This one's made from rolled up magazines
Courtesy Curbly
Nothing fancy this time, this is just a little opinion of mine. I went to visit a very dear friend, who happens to be my neighbour too. Whenever we want to get away from the "home" air, we text and meet up. And yeah, when there's nothing to do, we watch TV together.

We were watching TV at his place when his mom informed us that the electrician had arrived. I was kinda baffled, I knew they didn't have any plans for any
electricity related endeavors. Anyway, my friend (well.. yes he's Rafay) soon returned with two young chaps.
We went upstairs, Rafay asked me to fetch the ladder and I happily complied. I was shocked to see that the electrician had only been called to replace some faulty bulbs. Maybe, my shock wouldn't seem much of a shock to everyone and that's exactly why I'm writing this.

I think we, the younger lot need to Do It Yourself (DIY). DIY is basically fixing stuff for yourself. You make a sandwich? Technically that's DIY too, but DIY specifically means to do stuff that's a little out of the usual. DIY can range from tasks as small as changing batteries in your wrist watch to building an ultra light airplane. Our generation has become too much of a couch potato. I know there are great shows and movies coming on the television, but it won't hurt to lift our hides and do a little fixing ourselves.
Customized Sneakers
Courtesy Fashion Diva Design

People would argue that why DIY? Why not call a professional like my friend did? Well, they have greater and more important tasks to do and it saves time and money. It's cool that you can call people up for tasks, but one should really know how to change light bulbs and all. They are little tasks after all. I said that DIY saves time and money, well that's not always true. Avid DIYers pride themselves in learning from their mistakes. They have a common belief that we all learn from our mistakes and the feeling of achievement overshadows the regret of mistakes. This is how they can make cool and personalized stuff that you won't find at any store.

I did drift off to something more advanced, but doing little house chores or fixing some stuff ourselves won't ruin anything? What's the worst that can happen when changing light bulbs? Well, a lot of stuff can happen with electricity I know, but that's why there are DIY sites like ehow, DIY network and DIY. DIY, when coupled with precaution, can do wonders.

I could have written all sorts of stuff and research about DIY, but you can find that elsewhere too. This is just how I felt about it. Oh, and DIY isn't just restricted to the boring household stuff, there are some really cool projects about fashion, accessories etc. Google and try!

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn."                                                                          

Alvin Toffler


Do share your views in the comments section and share, tweet, like, pin etc.
Time to learn!
P.S No offence Rafay :P

The Blog Guide

4 comments :

  1. Haha brother this piece is heartbreaking for people like me :3
    Hard to leave the couch and laptop (not TV in my case).
    but wait.maybe thats why I'm overweight. lol.
    Your topics go together with your title so well (greatly random haha )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I´m new here but i found it very interesting, by the way I'm new in this english blogger community so i hope we can be good friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Roli,
      I added you up in my circles too. I was hoping if you had some english posts? Try reading my other posts too. Your blog seemed very good, but I didn't understand the language :(

      Delete

Thanks for your feedback :)